Movie soundtracks are epic, but…
In my opinion Hans Zimmer is the best in this field. Think of a movie with an outstanding and award winning soundtrack — and he’s probably the composer. My favorites: Interstellar (x2), Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator, Inception, even Lion King!
But there’s more…
Game soundtracks are no longer beeps & boops
Pong was released in 1972 with just two sounds. After eight boring years, Pack-Man features a memorable intro theme.
When Pong was released it had just two sounds. Nowadays, games feature soundtracks played by full orchestras with budgets over six figures!
Tetris in 1984 already had a soundtrack. Super Mario Bros and Zelda came next, with soundtracks crafted by the creativity of Koji Kondo. And then in 1989 the talented Nobuo Uematsu joins the team of Final Fantasy.
At the time, sound and hardware specs were limited. But the melodies are there and today they are globally and fondly recognized.
Saying that game soundtracks are low quality is like saying Mona Lisa is crap because DaVinci used a brush instead of Photoshop.
People appreciate Shakespeare even though they can barely understand the archaic English it was written with. Well the good thing about music is that you can take the same recipe (score), arrange it, and play it with better instruments!
These melodies fill us with determination.
Orchestras play video games too
When the score is already superb the result is out of this world — like this orchestration of Bohemiam Rapsody.
Everything sounds magnificent when played by an orchestra.
Speaking of VGM (video game music), the concert 20020220, back in Japan 2002, was a pioneer in VGM concerts. Since then many new ongoing concerts were created and are touring around the world.
- Video Games Live, (powered by kickstarter… x5)
- Distant Worlds
- Symphonic Fantasies
- Final Symphony
- Zelda: Symphony of the Goddess
Choose your own
- Playful like Angry Bids’ main theme
- Cute like Animal Crossing’s main theme
- Fluffy like Cloud’s main theme
- Joyful 🐤 like Chocobo’s theme (Final Fantasy 12)
- Happy like Super Mario Bro’s main theme
- Quirky like Lulu and Shaco’s Encounter (League of Legends)
- Unique like Dragon Roost Island (Zelda: Wind Waker)
- Silly 🙃 like Crash Bandicoot’s main theme
- Insolent like the Pause Menu theme (Banjo-Kazooie)
- Delicate yet powerful like Terra’s theme (Final Fantasy 6)
- Noble like Ronfaure (Final Fantasy 11)
- Royal 👑 like Asgore’s battle theme (Undertale)
- Adventurous like Zelda’s main theme
- Courageous like this Castlevania‘s medley
- Bellicose like Demacia rising (League of Legends)
- Epic like Advent Rising
- Epic (level 9000) 🔥 like One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy 7)
- Sci-Fi like Suicide Mission (Mass Effect 3)
- Terrifying 😨 like Bloodborne’s theme
- Melancholic like Aquatic ambiance (Donkey Kong Country)
- Sentimental 😭 like Aerith’s theme (Final Fantasy 7)
- Sentimental yet epic like Dearly Beloved (Kingdom Hearts)
- Theatrical like Opera Maria & Draco (Final Fantasy 6)
- Relaxing like Dillo Hills’ main theme
- Exotic 🏝 like The Secret of Monkey Insland’s main theme
- Swahili like Baba Yetu (Civilization 4)
- Celtic like Tavern at the end of the world (The Witcher)
- Nostalgic like Sonic, Megaman or Street Fighter
- Lullaby like Haggstorm (Minecraft)
- Orchestral Chaos ⭐ orchestra + level design (Rayman Legends)
- From another world like Secret of Mana
- From another time like Chromo Trigger
- For retro lovers 🎮 like Adventure (orchestrated) (Fez)
- For guitar lovers 🎸 like Vamo’ alla Flamenco (Final Fantasy 9)
- For cello lovers 🎻 like Journey‘s entire soundtrack
- For violin lovers like Sunset (Afrika)
- For piano lovers like Tifa’s theme (Final Fantasy 7)
- For didgeridoo lovers like Jibberish Jungle (Rayman Origins)
- For oboe lovers like Snowdin Town (Undertale)
- For all about that bass like Harpy lair (The Witcher 2)
- For xylophone lovers like Bonetrousle (Undertale)
- For male voice lovers 💪 like Sovngarde (Skyrim)
- For female voice lovers 😍 like Eyes on me (Final Fantasy 8)
- If you’re entering a tavern 🍺 like Hearthstone’s main theme
- If you’re a mad clown ruler like Dancing mad (Final Fantasy 6)
- If you’re on a New Zealand landscape 🌈 like Far Horizons (Skyrim)
This is home.